Building Services

Building Services

Building Services is responsible for the administration of the Building Code Act of Ontario in the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, the issuing of building permits and site inspections.

The Act provides for the regulation of building activities in the province and delegates the responsibility for enforcement of the Building Code to local municipalities.

Permits are required for most construction activities, including sheds greater than 108 square feet, swimming pools, decks greater than 24” above grade. Accurate drawings and a site plan are necessary in order that the project may be assessed for compliance with the Code and other applicable laws including zoning by-laws. 

Applications are completed at Building Services in the Town Offices. To complete an application basic information including name and address of the owner and contractor, 2 sets of drawings and site plan and an accurate project description is required. Location details including lot and plan number of the property are helpful. The building permit fee is required to be paid at the time of application for a permit.

Prior to issuance of permits it is sometimes necessary to obtain the approvals of other agencies or other levels of government depending on the type of project or project location. It is often beneficial to contact Building Services at 905-468-3266 ext 256 early in the planning of a project to ascertain if other approvals may be required.

Department Contact:
905 468-3266, ext. 256

• Building Permit Fees & Water on Construction Fees
Building Permit By-law (By-law 4115-07)
Code of Conduct for Building Officials Policy
Commitment to General Review (for Architects and Engineers)
Development Charges - January 1, 2018
Permit Application Forms
Sample Site Plan
Site Alteration By-law
Swimming Pool By-law
Land Use Planning Citizen's Guide

Building Permits

A Land Use Planning Guide for Business
- Ontario OPEN for Business, Ministry of Municipal Affairs

Drawings & Documentation Upload

Drawings and documentation may be uploaded to In the "Subject" space input the lot and street numbers, and street name. In the "Message" space input "Attn. Building Department" and any additional information you would like to add.

Building Permit Application Form    Attached is the prescribed Ministry form for an "Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish" which can be filled out and attached to your drawings and documentation to be uploaded to our Hightail account as per the above.

Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish



If you work in construction, the rules for mandatory WSIB coverage have changed. Do you run your own construction business? Are you the purchaser of construction services? Big or small, with workers or without, you still need to know what's changed. Find out what it means for you.